FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
ABOUT ENVIROMENTAL AGENCY TESTING
Most professionals that test for mold are engineers. They have extensive training and education in how to conduct and interpret the tests.
Indoor air quality tests measure the air for things such as allergens, mold, and radon, among others. These tests can show whether the quality of your indoor air is either safe or dangerous
Air quality is measured with the Mold Testing Index, or AQI. The AQI works sort of like a thermometer that runs from 0 to 500 degrees.
Coughing or Difficulty Breathing, Sneezing or Allergic Reactions, Skin Dryness or Irritation, Headaches or Nausea, Inability to Sleep
Itchy, stuffy nose, Clear nasal discharge, Itchy, watery, swollen, bloodshot eyes, sneezing
House Dust, mold spores, pollen, fabrics.
A typical 2,500 sq. ft single family home takes between 3-4 hours, apartments take between 2-3 hours
The seller should complete any repairs that they have committed to in the sales contract or discovered since the contract was written.
Verify that the all the utilities such as electricity, water and gas are on. The heating and air conditioning systems, water heater, and appliances should be on and operational.
Due to the growing concerns of mold in the home and the affects on health, Mold inspections are becoming a common practice. You should not buy a home or live in a home with mold
Through the course of the inspection the Inspector will offer their observations of suspected problem areas or potential problem areas which may suggest that further laboratory analysis is needed
Encase pillows, mattresses and box springs in dust-mite-proof covers. Wash sheets, pillowcases and blankets at least once a week in water heated to at least 130 F
The term mold is the non-technical name that refers to any growing fungus.
Identify and eliminate the water problem, Remove,Determine the extent of the problem, clean, or discard affected materials
Keep all doors and windows closed for a period of two hours before any testing begins. Turn off air purification machines for twenty-four hours before the appointment. Turn off HVAC/central heating systems for a minimum of two hours before testing
Sneezing. Runny or stuffy nose. Cough and postnasal drip.
Odor – you smell something but just can’t see anything. You don’t feel good when your home and you feel better when your away. Constantly itchy nose, red eyes and sneezing.
Mold is a serious problem, and spotting mold contamination before it grows out of control can save you thousands of dollars.
Mold testing is highly reliable and extremely accurate
When moisture problems or water damage occur mold can grow within 24 – 48 hours. Since molds can digest most things, water is the factor that limits mold growth. Molds will often grow in damp or wet areas indoors.
It is impossible to completely eliminate all mold spores indoors. Mold will always be found floating in the air and in house dust. Indoor mold growth can be prevented by controlling water and moisture in indoors.
Mold requires moisture or water and a substrate or surface to grow on. High humidity, typically more then 60% may also provide an ample source of moisture for mold growth.
ABOUT ASBESTOS & LEADS
Asbestos is the name given to a group of naturally occurring minerals that are resistant to heat and corrosion
It’s extremely difficult to identify asbestos just by looking at it, so you need to send samples to a lab for testing. Homeowners can collect samples and have them tested, but it’s much safer for you and your family to hire a trained asbestos professional for the job.
Shortness of breath. Persistent dry cough. Chest tightness or chest pain. Weight loss from loss of appetite.
Asbestos particles range from 0.7 to 90 microns. Luckily HEPA filters capture over 99% of all particle sizes (even the smallest particles) 0.3 microns, so they should capture plenty of asbestos.
Asbestos can be classified as friable and non-friable. Friable asbestos can be easily crumbled or crushed, which can create dangerous airborne asbestos fibers. It is the exposure to these fibers that is dangerous.
Under the Property Misdescriptions Act, you are legally obliged to disclose that asbestos is present in the property, if you are aware of it. This means that if you have been made aware of asbestos in your property, you must make any potential buyer aware of this too.
You might assume that the best plan if you have asbestos on your property is to have it removed as soon as possible.
Lead can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, as well as behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures, and even death.
Peeling or chipping paint. Old home built prior to 1978 (before lead-based paint was banned in the U.S.) A metallic taste in your mouth.
If allowed to deteriorate, lead from paint can threaten the health of occupants, especially children under six years old.
Lead dust is the most common way that people are exposed to lead. Inside the home, most lead dust comes from chipping and flaking paint or when paint is scraped,
Homes built before 1978 (when lead-based paints were banned) probably contain lead-based paint. Certain water pipes may contain lead.